The reincarnated Top Gear TV show is already reversing its way out of controversy before the new show has even aired.
Filming for the latest series was captured on camera showing a driver doing a 'doughnut' stunt in Whitehall close to the Cenotaph. The photo appeared in the papers and offended many people. The BBC moved quickly to respond to criticism.
The presenter Chris Evans apologised and said that the footage will not appear in the show. The BBC was also quick to put out a statement apologising for any offence caused, setting out which organisations it had consulted in order to allow filming and clarified how the driver had been briefed. It also highlighted the angle of the photo, which it said made the car appear closer to the Cenotaph than it actually was.
This was in stark contrast to events of a year ago when Jeremy Clarkson punched a producer leading to the show's subsequent implosion.
A year later, has the BBC learned lessons in how to handle a PR crisis? Yes.
Has Top Gear learned any lessons from courting controversy again? Yes. It clearly won't have as many lives as its predecessors did, and the press will see to that by keeping on its tail for any slip-ups.
Is the Top Gear brand safe? It's a Marmite brand. People either love it or hate it and those who do, really do. It's a way of life. But its presenters and production team will need to carefully manage its stunts and schedules if they are to keep their core audience engaged while keeping the show running without offending anyone. It will be a tricky balance.
During an interview given on Monday morning, Chris Evans had said: "That footage will definitely not go on the air, no question about it."